Saturday, January 6, 2007

A new start

Over the past few weeks, I have been restarting the work I've done on our family history. I've had two reasons to do this. First, my kids are starting to get to the age where they will be able to ask questions about this. Second, I like to do it and I need to get reengaged on it.

So, I dusted off my copy of Legacy Family Tree software (and ended up upgrading to 6.0 because of their generous upgrade policy. Then I completed the conversion of my data file from my old Mac Reunion file to Legacy (this slow task may have been what kept me from doing this in the past). Now I am polishing my father's ancestors records by ensuring the facts are straight and reviewing the sources from when I researched them last. Why? Because we are heading to New York next weekend to visit my Great Grandparents, who are in their 80's. So, I am hoping I can get a little info out of them (and maybe some copies of more sources!), so I can expand that part of the tree a little.

What else do I plan to do? Well...

1. Explore the Internet resources now available (and it is a LOT more than I remember from the late 90s).
2. Work hard on getting our family history documented to the dates they immigrated to the U.S. This is mostly on my side of the family, which is centered around New York City and Chicago.
3. "Make the leap" oversees

Along the way, I also plan to publish our research on line, but I'm not there, yet...

First, off to Ancestry.com to see what they have to offer (and get some Census research done).

No comments:

Post a Comment