Sunday, January 7, 2007

Lost Ancestors

Today I signed up for Ancestry.com's free trial. My, how easy some of the basic genealogy research has become. Within minutes, I had found my grandfather's and grandmother's 1930 census entries.

My grandmother's entry led me down a really interesting trail. She was living with her father, his wife and a younger sister. But I found something interesting -- my grandmother's grandfather seems to be living either in the same apartment or just next door. Not conclusive, but a good start to go off and prove.

Here's where things get fun. That assumed grandfather (my great great grandfather) was living with his second (or later) wife, a daughter and a step daughter. When I searched the 1920 census, I can't find my great grandfather. I find my great great grandfather, living alone as a lodger and listed as widowed. I find that daughter from the 1930 census living alone in the New York Catholic Protectory. And I find that second wife, widowed, and living with 2 daughters. So, where is my great grandfather, and, wow, what a tough life it looks like they had. Of course this was all in New York City in the depression, so I imagine it could be really bad!

This could keep me going for months!

On my visit next weekend, hopefully I can get my grandmother to help sort this out a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment